Fidos For Freedom, Inc. is run by a dedicated group of volunteers who strive to increase the quality of life for people living in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan community through the use of hearing dogs, service dogs and therapy dogs. The non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization is based in Laurel, Maryland.
It is the vision of this organization to increase the quality of life and provide companionship to the residents of our local community through specially trained service dogs, hearing dogs and therapy dogs.
- To provide trained Service Dogs or Hearing Dogs to people who are physically challenged, deaf or hard-of-hearing, including on-going support services and training.
- To provide trained PTSD Dogs to Veterans with combat-related PTSD including on-going support services and training.
- To provide emotional and physical benefits through the use of well trained therapy dogs and volunteers for patients residing in health care facilities.
- To educate, enlighten and enrich the lives of individuals in the use of quality trained dogs in disability awareness presentations and demonstrations in schools, churches, organizations and businesses within the community.
- To provide a junior volunteer program, enabling hands on experience with the training of dogs and working with physically challenged individuals while earning community service hours.
- To provide a reading literacy program (DEAR, Dogs Educating and Assisting Readers) that improves the reading skills of elementary school students by encouraging them to read one-on-one with a Fidos Therapy Dog in a relaxed learning environment.