What to bring to the test:
On the date of your test, please bring (forms can be found here)
- Contact information form
- Volunteer form
- Photo release form
- Agreement waiver form
- $50 testing fee (payable by cash or check to Fidos For Freedom, Inc; we do not have the ability to accept credit cards). This applies whether or not your dog is accepted into the program.
- A 6 foot leash. Retractable leashes are never used in the facility.
- A brush or comb (to be used on your dog during temperament testing).
- A copy of your up-to-date veterinary records.
- a current annual examination,
- rabies vaccine (1 or 3 year) and a copy of rabies certificate,
- distemper/parvo vaccine (1 or 3 year, or protective titers within the last year),
- canine influenza vaccine (bivalent--H3N8 & H3N82) and
- fecal test showing negative result.
We prefer that all forms be sent to us ahead of time when possible. If this is not possible, it will save a great deal of time if you can print them and fill them out prior to arriving for your appointment.
When arriving for the Therapy Dog test:
- Please do not allow dogs to meet & greet one another in the lobby.
- It is a stressful time for the dogs and you don't know how another dog might react to your dog and vice versa. Keep them close and be aware of where they are at all times; this is part of working as a therapy team.
- For your safety, Fidos does not allow open heeled shoes on the training floor at any time. No clogs, no flip flops, and no open-backed sandals at any time.
- No electronic collars are permitted.
- No retractable leashes are permitted.
- No female dogs in season.
- No other animals or pets are ever allowed at Fidos. For liability reasons, only Fidos service dogs, puppies in training, and therapy dogs are ever approved to visit the training center.
- Only adults (over age 18) are able to participate in the therapy dog program (eg. working on the training floor, handling the dog at events, and going on therapy visits). If you have a family member under 18 that would like to participate in Fidos, please refer to information about the juniors program on our main website for anyone ages 12-18.